Adult Immunization Fact Sheet
- CDC estimates that vaccine preventable diseases in adults cost this country ~$10 Billion per year.
- 45,000 adults per year die from vaccine preventable diseases. Hundreds of thousands of others are hospitalized each year.
- Adults account for 1/3 of the estimated1-3 Million new cases of Pertussis each year. As infants are at the greatest risk of death the CDC recommends that all adults in close contact with infants get a Pertussis immunization. Only 2% of the adults recommended to get a TDAP shot get it.
- Hepatitis is 100 times more infectious than HIV. Adults represent >95% of new Hep B infections. Adults who have had more than one sexual partner during the previous six months are recommended to be immunized. Only 23% of those who should get Hep B immunizations do.
- Greater than 85% of all STDs are NOT diagnoses at an STD clinic.
- According to a National Foundation for Infectious Diseases survey, 87% of (adult) respondents said they were likely to be immunized if their doctor recommended it. Only 41% said they would ask for a vaccine if their doctor did not mention it.